Thinking about investing but not sure how to buy mutual funds? The selection process is actually easier than you think. Learn how and where to buy mutual funds
Now that we’ve covered both the advantages and disadvantages of mutual funds – let’s talk about how to buy and sell them.
Where to Buy Mutual Funds
There are a number of options to choose from when deciding where to buy mutual funds:
- Your employer-sponsored plan
- The fund company directly (Vanguard, T. Rowe Price, etc.)
- A “supermarket”, where funds from many different providers are offered
- A human broker/financial planner (watch out for extra fees!)
Tips for How to Buy Mutual funds
- Identify goals and risk tolerance before. An investor should identify his or her goals before acquiring shares in any fund. Risk tolerance and time horizon should also be assessed – the investment should not be keeping the investor up at night.
- Consider style and fund type. This will largely depend on the investor’s goals and time horizon. If he or she is comfortable with volatility and is in it for the long haul, he or she would be suited for a long-term appreciation fund. These typically hold a high percentage in common stocks, giving them both a higher risk and a larger reward. If the investor’s looking for current income, they’d surely go with an income fund – whereby government and corporate debt are the most common holdings.
- Be aware of charges/fees. Mutual funds make their money by charging fees to the investor. Some will charge a load fee, which is a sales fee that will either be charged upon the initial investment or upon the sale of the investment. The load will either be a front-end load, where the fee is paid out of the initial investment made by the investor, or it’ll be a back-end load, where the fee is charged when an investor sells his or her investment. Both will typically charge 3% to 6% of the total amount invested, but they can actually charge as high as 8.5%.
- Evaluate managers and past results. With that being said, do keep in mind that past performance is by no means a guarantee of future results.
How to Sell Mutual Funds
It’s important to know when and how to sell a mutual fund. Here are the proper steps to doing so:
- Contact financial advisor (or mutual fund company)
- Inquire about fees/charges
- Figure out how many shares you wish to sell
- Provide instructions on what to do with the money
Now that you know the steps to take to sell them, the big question becomes when to sell them!
When to Sell Mutual Funds
Cashing in and investing your money elsewhere can be tempting when your mutual fund is yielding a lower return than anticipated. There are both pros and cons to the redemption of your mutual fund shares.
THE 3 BEST TOOLS FOR BEGINNER INVESTORS
Updated July 1, 2023: At WallStreetSurvivor, our passion is helping you learn to invest in the stock market the RIGHT WAY! As part of our commitment to you, we are constantly evaluating all types of financial tools from stock picking newsletters to brokerage apps to stock screeners and more. Here are our favorites:
1. BEST SOURCE OF STOCK PICKS FOR THE LAST 20 YEARS
We have been tracking dozens of stock newsletter over the years and The Motley Fool stock picks continue to be the best. Take a look at their stock picks' performance:
Now, no one can guarantee that their next picks will be as strong, but their 20 year track record continues to beat every other stock newsletter we follow. They do pick some losers, but the key for investors is to invest equal dollar amounts in all of their picks. So if you have $1,000 to invest in the market each month, buy $500 of each of their 2 monthly stock picks.
Normally the Motley Fool service is $199 per year but they are currently offering it at their lowest price ever: Just $79 for 12 months..
2. BEST STOCK BROKERAGE ACCOUNT
Robinhood was the first brokerage site to NOT charge commissions when they opened in 2013. They just past 10,000,000 accounts and to celebrate they are offering one free share of stock (value up to $200) when you open a new account. In addition, they will give you another free share of stock (up to $250) for each friend that you refer, max 3 friends a year.
Here's the details: You must click on a special promo link to open your new Robinhood account. Then when you fund your account with at least $10, you will receive one stock valued between $5 and $200. Then, you will get a link to share with your friends. Every time one of your friends opens an account, you will receive another free stock valued between $5 and $200.
3. FIVE STOCKS LIKELY TO DOUBLE
ZACKS Investment Research just released their list of 5 Stocks Likely to Double. ZACKS has been around since 1978 and their top rated stocks have an average gain of 25.35% per year over the last 30+ years. Best of all, you can get this list of 5 stocks for FREE by CLICKING HERE.